Sunday, September 26, 2010

Brown rice pudding - great for breakfast

I have been struggling for a while to find something for breakfast that the whole family would enjoy.  My youngest son is not a breakfast fan and will usually leave a bowlful of whatever I have lovingly prepared for him.  This morning the eldest son, asked for rice pudding for breaky, so I looked around for a healthy version and adapted Jude Blereau's rice cream from 'Wholefood Cooking'.  I didn't prepare an awful lot in case it was a disaster, imagine my suprise when all loved it and even the youngest asked for more!  The apple gives it a sweetness that sweet tooth's enjoy..

Brown rice pudding:
300g brown rice (may pre-soak overnight to reduce cooking time)
900g water
2 apples, peeled and grated or sliced and stewed (can be done in saucepan while rice is cooking)
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg (grate in TM)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
180g coconut milk
30g cream
2 tsp honey

 Optional - ground almonds (grind in TM first), sultanas, apricots

Rinse rice and place in basket, add water to bowl, insert basket and cook for 30-35mins (less if pre-soaked overnight) at Varoma temp on speed 4.
Remove basket, empty water from bowl and place rice in bowl along with other ingredients.  Mix for 30 seconds on reverse and speed  3.

Serve with plain yoghurt or cream and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. This looks delicious Kendra!Congratulations on your blog - I can't wait to see some updates - and I'd love to see some photos of your recipes too. Well done!

    ReplyDelete