Friday, February 3, 2012

Coconut milk/cream

Recently I was making the beef rendang from EDC for dinner, but didn't have any coconut milk. 
Not a problem - I realised, as I had some dessicated coconut, I could make my own.  This recipe is on page 19 of the Indian Cookbook.
1.Weigh 100g to 300g of dessicated coconut and add water in the amount of six times the weight of coconut .eg if using 100g coconut, add 600g water
2. Cook for 5-20 minutes(depending on quantity) at 100C on speed 4 until steaming
3. Blend for 30 seconds on speed 8
4. Strain through a nutmilk bag or muslin cloth.  If left, the coconut cream will rise to the top and solidify.
5. Place the pulp back in the bowl and repeat steps 1 to 4.  This liquid is now light coconut milk. I place this in ice cube trays and use it for smoothies and sorbets

No comments:

Post a Comment